the interesting idea... the start of this project... the conversations to come



I'm a member of Post Crossing, the internet site for postcard exchange. I sent a card to another Post Crosser, Ilona from Germany. She asked that people tell her which magical power they would like to have. Her question really made me think!

In turn, I thought it would be an interesting project to ask people to pose Thought-Provoking Questions. I would do my best to answer with my opinion, and I would encourage others to add theirs.

And, so was born this blog! I hope that it will be the home for many interesting conversations in the year ahead!



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

In my own little corner.. in my own little world

Tomek, in Poland, wonders what Americans are up to these days:

There's a common opinion in Europe about Americans that they know nothing about the world and are only interested in their own backyard. Is it true?

Of course, there are vast numbers of Americans who are true citizens of the world, but I'd have to say that the opinion is rooted in reality. It comes, in part, from the fact that our "backyard" is so vast that we lose sight of the rest of the planet. Perhaps as the planet "shrinks," this phenomenon will cease to be true.

2 comments:

  1. Wow what a great blog! I already followed your Zentangle blog, so just dug a little deeper. I learned just recently of the postcard exchange and am going to join now that I'm home from all my retirement-celebration travels. I just love the idea of thought provoking questions - can I use your idea?

    To answer the posed question: I think you're right that part of our challenge is that our backyard is so vast, but I also think that we are spoiled and lazy & don't pay enough attention to what goes on in the rest of the world. To wit: how many Americans could point to Pakistan on a map? If we aren't interested in that with the recent activity there, why would we be interested in Malawi or Darfur? I think we are interested in TRAVELING to other parts of the world, but I also think the majority of Americans just don't give a rat's tail about what's actually going on in the rest of the world. (Just a different way of looking at the question).

    Anyway, as I said - LOVE the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you consider the mental picture of "lazy," youget a sense of no activity at all, but sometimes I think "lazy" is a great force! It pulls us into doing nothing. It's like the black hole of "I'm bored." "Lazy" does suck us in and requires lots of energy to counteract! Perhaps the first step IS visiting... it's hard to avoid being concerned about a place you've actually walked on. (At least it is for me!)

    Go ahead - make the most of the TPQ idea! I'd love to see what you do! At the very least, it's good for conversation starting!

    ReplyDelete