the interesting idea... the start of this project... the conversations to come



I'm a member of Post Crossing, the internet site for postcard exchange. I sent a card to another Post Crosser, Ilona from Germany. She asked that people tell her which magical power they would like to have. Her question really made me think!

In turn, I thought it would be an interesting project to ask people to pose Thought-Provoking Questions. I would do my best to answer with my opinion, and I would encourage others to add theirs.

And, so was born this blog! I hope that it will be the home for many interesting conversations in the year ahead!



Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chicken, NEW and IMPROVED!

Naiche, from Singapore, talks about hearing a news item on the BBC that mentioned genetically engineered chickens that are resistant to disease. Theoretically, he says, the same technology can be used againgt multiple existing viruses which currently affect livestock and combat the world's growing food resource issue. But, he wonders...
Is "toying" with nature a correct and wise solution to our problems?

It seems like it's a question of how far along a continuum do we travel? We already selectively breed livestock and plant strains for disease resistance, weather hardiness, and so on. Is tinkering at the molecular level only one step further along the continuum?

No comments:

Post a Comment